We live in a world where appearance matters! Whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate, but the truth remains that how you present yourself to the world is really important in social, personal and professional situations. It goes without saying that a huge part of your image is your smile, but if you’re like most people, you weren’t born with a perfect set of pearly whites! So what are your options if you want to straighten your teeth but don’t want to wear bulky metal braces? That’s where Invisalign in Anthem comes in. But you might be surprised to learn that being invisible isn’t the only advantage to Invisalign. Keep reading to learn more!
How Does Invisalign Straighten Teeth?
Regular braces use metal brackets and wires to move the teeth, while Invisalign uses clear, plastic trays called aligners. These aligners put gentle pressure on the teeth, moving them into the correct positions over time.
With Invisalign, many patients will spend around 12 months in treatment, although this can vary depending on how crooked your teeth are. Usually, each set of trays is worn for two weeks before switching to a new set.
Some mild discomfort is normal during the first day or two of wearing a new set of trays, especially at the beginning of treatment.
What Advantages Does Invisalign Offer Over Braces?
- Appearance – Clearly (no pun intended) appearance is the most obvious difference! With Invisalign, no one will even know you’re in orthodontic treatment. Also, the trays can be taken out for a short time, so it’s perfect for photographs or special events like job interviews.
- Time of Treatment – The average time spent in treatment is around 12 months for Invisalign and around 18-24 months for braces. The best way to finish Invisalign on time is to commit to wearing the aligners for the recommended 22 hours each day!
- Cost – Regardless of whether you choose Invisalign or braces, the cost will vary from person to person. But in most cases, the cost is comparable between the two options.
- Diet – With traditional brackets and wires, you have to avoid hard, sticky or crunchy foods. With Invisalign, you can remove the trays before eating, which means you can eat any food you’d like.
- Visits – With Invisalign, you’ll only come in about every six weeks, but braces require visits more often (around every four weeks).
- Hygiene – As any dentist in Anthem will tell you, it’s much easier to keep your teeth and gums healthy in Invisalign because you simply remove the trays before your daily hygiene routine.
- Comfort – The smooth, plastic aligners are much more comfortable than metal brackets and wires!
If you’d like to know if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign, the first step is to schedule a consultation with a cosmetic dentist in Anthem.
When it comes to straightening your smile, there’s no question that you want great results. But when it comes to how you get those results, the choice is clear!
About the Author
Dr. Lori Anderson is a general and cosmetic dentist who has used Invisalign to comfortably and invisibly transform many of her patients’ smiles. She loves having modern treatment options to offer that don’t negatively impact patient’s lives while they achieve their results. If you have any questions, she can be contacted via her website or at 480-455-7411.